Journey From The Fall - Vượt Sóng



“The Americans have broken their promise. They have left us."


“Inspired by the true stories of Vietnamese refugees who fled their land after the fall of Saigon—and those who were forced to stay behind, Journey From The Fall follows one family’s struggle for freedom.

April 30, 1975 marked the end of Vietnam's two-decade-old civil war and the start of the exodus of hundreds of thousands of refugees. Despite his allegiance to the toppled South Vietnamese government, Long Nguyen (as Long Nguyen) decides to remain in Vietnam. Imprisoned in a Communist re-education camp, he urges his family to make the escape by boat without him. His wife Mai (Diem Lien), son Lai (Nguyen Thai Nguyen) and mother Ba Noi (Kieu Chinh) then embark on the arduous ocean voyage in the hope of reaching the U.S. and freedom.

Back in Vietnam, Long suffers years of solitary confinement and hard labor, and finally despairs that his family has perished. But news of their successful resettlement in America inspires him to make one last desperate attempt to join them."

Cast: Kieu Chinh, Long Nguyen, Diem Lien, Nguyen Thai Nguyen, Jayvee Mai The Hiep, Khanh Doan, Cat Ly
Director & Writer: Ham Tran
Genre: Drama
MPAA: Rated R for some violence.
Runtime: 135 min
Website: Offcial Website for Journey From The Fall
Myspace: Official Myspace for Journey From The Fall

WATCH TRAILER



My Thoughts:

I haven’t seen this movie, but I heard it got lots of good reviews and awards. Still I have to see it to judge, because I think in general when a movie is base on a historical event or it is about war that people assumed it must be good. However, it can be quite the opposite when the film does not tell the real story but make it into a Hollywood style view. About the casting, I think this is a break through role for Diem Lien. I like her as a singer, but I never knew she could be such a good actress as well. Also I didn’t know that Cat Ly is in this movie. If you don’t remember her, she was the singer for Van Son in the early days. The only other person in the cast I know is Kieu Chinh, but I never really saw any of her movies or seen her acting. Overall I’m looking forward to seeing this movie if I can get my hand on a copy of it. And my family and I want to see the movie because it is about the Vietnam War. Check out other films, Saigon Eclipse, The Rebel, Saigon Love Story, Derailed Heart, and The Spirits.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yet again, I'm in this movie!!Daughter of Huynh Nhat Tan
Anonymous said…
Just saw the movie "Vuot Song". Love it. Sensitive treatment of events, not blatant propaganda.